- Read Michelle Alexander’s The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.
- Find a local chapter of Black Lives Matter and show your support by attending an event or making a donation.
- Learn about Showing Up For Racial Justice, which works to “Organize white people for racial justice.
- Get involved in #Cut50, an initiative working to “popularize the idea that we can smartly and safely reduce the number of people in prisons and jails by 50% by pursuing transformative legislation.
- Show your support for the Equal Justice Initiative, which is committed to ending mass incarceration and excessive punishment in the United States, challenging racial and economic injustice, and protecting basic human rights for the most vulnerable people in American society.
- Learn about social privledge. Reflect upon the privlieges you may or may not have. A tool to get started is Peggy McIntosh’s Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.
- View the film The House I Live In on the toll of the war on drugs on individuals.